Early last year I decided to get back into buying single issues of comics collecting many lines. I’ve since then paired back my reading, culling all five X-Men titles I was collecting (really got sick of cross overs) and since have started purchasing more indie and alternative titles. The following list are all the lines I currently collect on a regular basis (italics denotes physical copy).
When you collect a lot of issues the order in which you read them is important (to me anyway). What I used to do was read everything in alphabetical order, although starting with all the X-Men titles (Astonishing through to Uncanny), then moving on to all the indie ones. Saving the best till last. Then I read an introduction to a set of Locke and Key books where the writer said he used to do the same but now his time is precious and life is short so he reads his favourites first and then all the rest. So I’ve done the same and am happier for it, I have to say. I’ve also started to read more female lead comics and am enjoying the diversity, most of my current readings have a female lead and/or were written/drawn by women and I’m loving it.
In no particular order:
- The Fade Out – by Ed Brubaker and Sean Phillips (amazing team!)
- The Fuse
- Giant Days – John Allison (go read his webcomic Bad Machinery)
- Ms. Marvel
- Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye
- The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl
- The Wicked + The Divine – this feeds my polytheism and a TV show is rumoured!
- Bitch Planet – READ THIS NOW!
- Thrilling Adventure Hour Presents: Beyond Belief
- Thrilling Adventure Hour Presents: Sparks Nevada
- Velvet – Another Brubaker and Phillips
- Rat Queens – A must read!
- Spider-Gwen – a good pair with Silk.
- Rachel Rising – A new series from Terry Moore
- The Massive – finished now
- Morning Glories – Crazy time travel stuff, I have no idea what’s happening in this series but I’ll keep reading it.